What is a Youth Heritage Summit?
Our Youth Heritage Summits (YHS) are a fun and immersive way to get to know your local community, meet new friends, and enhance your experience serving your community. Through YHS, students visit a specific place over the course of a few days, and complete exciting, hands-on projects to learn a specific skill.
What can I do during YHS 2018?
As a participant in YHS 2018, you can choose from three tracks that will shape your experience over the course of the summit.
Collect media and complete a takeover of the Homestead Museum’s
social media accounts!
Historic Site Interpretation
Develop a visitor experience for those who visit the Homestead Museum this fall!
Learn from the site, and then develop a design and use the art of screenprinting to depict it!
- Dates: YHS 2018 will take place from Thursday, July 19 to Saturday, July 21
- Times: Activities will take place from 9:00am to 5:00pm on Thursday and Friday, and from 8:00am to 1:00pm on Saturday.
- Location: Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum
15415 Don Julian Road, City of Industry, CA
- Transportation: Transportation will be provided for students who are selected to attend the summit.
- Cost: There is no cost to attend YHS, though we do suggest a tax-deductible donation of $75. The contribution may be paid by check or online after you have received a notice of acceptance to attend the summit
*to participate in YHS 2018, you must be between the ages of 14 and 19.
Q:Who is We Are the Next?
A: We Are the Next is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Long Beach, California. Our mission is to empower the next generation to engage with their city so their neighborhoods can thrive. We provide programs for high school students and young adults to prepare them for life as informed, active residents of our communities. In all of our programming we take a public history approach - we believe young people need to understand our history and how we got here, so they can address our societal challenges and make change for a better future.
Q:Who will lead the Youth Heritage Summit?
A: This program will be led by We Are the Next staff along with invited Community Experts. All adults working with students will be required to pass a federal and state background check as part of our standard procedure to ensure the safety of participants.
Q:I'd like to donate items or services for the Youth Heritage Summit. How can I participate?
A: Thank you! We are open to all donations for this year's summit. Please email our Executive Director, Katie Rispoli Keaotamai at email@example.com. Please keep in mind that all donations to We Are the Next are tax-deductible to the fullest extent possible.
Graphics by Vecteezy